But some years later.....

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

.....I went to Australia to visit my father-in-law. During the second week we were talking about my hobbies after breakfast in the kitchen next to the fireplace. I mentioned patchwork, quilting and the 3 or 4 things I had made before... (At that time I was working on a tablecloth, a small cross stiched one.) My mother-in-law became really excited and suddenly found me a leaflet about the Sydney Quilt Fair which took place that week. I didn't need more motivation. The next day I bought my first train ticket in Australia and travelled to Sydney. And when I entered the fair I couldn't breath for a minute. I have never seen so many nice fabrics, quilt accessories atc. before. Actually I hadn't been at a quilting exhibition before (not to mention ours which was only a small one in school, can't be compared with this one). So first I looked all the quilts...I suddenly realised that the U12 (under12) cathegory's quilts were much nicer and professional that I could do (or just imagine).
And after that I went through the fair...So many nice fabrics and things I have never heard about, which help the quilters' work. It seemed like heaven for me. The only missing part were the angels (quilted country angels of course :D). I made a timetable as there were some workshops which I wanted to sit in. Some were information about the newbies and some were about techniques. I visited 4 I think then went back to the shops. I have never seen fat quarters or patchwork kits before...
I spent the whole day there and bought some fat quarters, little and funny buttons (biscuits, small country houses and a sewing button pack) and some old magazines. Yes, it is a really very nice thing there. You can buy the old magazines for some cents only. They offer a pack of 3 or 5 for only some dollars. It was not easy to choose as I had no quilting magazine before, so all were new for me. I tried to choose different ones. Finally I bought some about country style, some usual patchwork magazines, one about crafts and a bear making one. I went home late in the evening. I got some telephone calls from my family as they worried about me alone in Sydney for such a long time... To tell the truth I could sleep there.... I could spend a whole week among those things...
But I caught an evening train and went home. During the journey I started reading my new magazines and I got some new motivation to start again sewing and patchwork, to think about trying and using my inherited sewing machine, and to cut fabrics. ( I was and hmmm... I think I am sometimes afraid of cutting beautiful fabrics)

When I arrived home (to my family's house), some good news waited for me. My sweet mother-in-law told me about a patchwork shop near their house.
I couldn't wait for the next morning. I was so excited. My B (he is my husband, but I can't call him like 'husband' he is my B) was so kind and he came with me. I think we spent 3 hours in the shop, browsing the shelves and touching everything. I bought my first bear kit there on a sale (I think I knew the introduction by heart at the end of the day I read it so many times) when my B showed me a sign. It said something like: 'if you want company just come and sew with us on Thursday evening'.

I was thinking about that sign all evening and decided to be brave and give it a try. So on Thursday (which was the next day of the week) I took my ebroidery things and went there. And it was really amazing! I met some really nice ladies, a very good company. They asked me at least 200 questions, we laughed a lot and spent a good time together. (Did I mention I was frightened to talk to natives? I was always thinking about my grammar mistakes and trying to correct them during speaking... I have to tell, it makes things really difficult.) So we had tea (hihi, tea at 10 o'clock in the evening-seemed strange at first, but then I realised I was in a place where people have some English habits) and wonderful cake with it. I was so happy. I made some new friends, I saw them sewing, I spent an evening in that beautiful place having that tea together. I couldn't ask for more...

I think you guess I was there every Thursday with the ladies and all evenings were as good as the first one. (After coming home I kept in touch with them, and I hope I am still somewhere in their memories).

And my sewing machine was waiting for me at home.....


This is an edition of the original post. My dear father-in-law has just sent me a picture about the place I met those wonderful ladies on Thursday nights. It is a nice memory and I am happy I will be able to see the place whenever I want :D


0 comments: